Circus Magic Convention Schedule
February 19-22 2015
Celebrating Circus Daze!
Featuring Recommended Classes for Fire Safety Presenters
For those of you that just can’t get enough of laughing & learning, we offer additional choices for Thursday and Friday. The registration fees for each of the workshops will be listed on the registration page. All classes will be from 9:00- 4:00 except The Pro Kid Show Track for Professional Entertainers: 8-5.
8:00-9:00 Registration in the lobby (get there early to avoid rush)
Thursday, Feb. 19, 9:00- 4:00 Intensive Tracks (additional fee)
8:00-10:00 Registration Open
8:15-8:30 Morning Devotions with Michael Britt
1. Super Balloon Workshop with Jeff Estes, Karan Robbins & Staff
Are you a beginner or intermediate balloon sculpture? If you are, then this class is especially designed for you. This one day workshop will feature hands-on teaching with free samples of balloons to experiment with. The class will be divided according to skill levels and you will spend the day learning lots of new & colorful creations! Don’t worry, there will be at least 3 competent and sharing staff members to help you learn the creations you have always wanted to do. You will gain experience with beginning 260’s to 360’s and big bears too!
2. Marketing and Performing for Birthday Parties
9:00-9:45 Routines for BDP’s with Riz
10:00-10:45 Performing the BEST Party Ever! With Brad Roberts
11:00-12:00 How to Get Repeat Business for BDP’s with Brad Roberts
1:30-2:30 Easy 260 Birthday Party Balloons with DJ Ehlert
3:00-4:00 Birthday Party Puppets…Oh My! with Riz
3. Balloon Décor with Valerie Tutson & Chris Burton
The basics of balloon decor will be taught with an “On The Job Training Approach”. We will use round and entertainer balloons to create decor that will be utilized throughout the convention area. Information will be provided about equipment needed for sizing, building columns and Characters as well.
4. How to Make $1000 a Day at Festivals and Outdoor Events with Dave Hill
Pre-Day – How. To Make $1000 a Day at Festivals – Get big Paydays at these lucrative events. Family entertainers are in High Demand for those organizing Festivals. They need Clowns, Magicians, Facepainters, Storytellers, and Balloon Twisters and you can make a lot of money being there. Dave and his family and friends work over 20 of these events every year and will teach you everything you need to know to get booked and begin to make the BIG BUCKS for yourself. Topics Covered Will Be – Understanding The Festival Market Getting Booked – Who Do I Contact? Publicity Materials Tools for the Trade and Survival Techniques Product Ideas and Wholesale Sources to Increase Your Profits Performance Tips and Ideas Working With Partners and Friends And Much, Much, More.
6:30-6:45 Staff Meeting
7:00-8:00 PM Show: Circus Magic Clown Guild with Salty the Clown!
9 AM to 7PM and 8PM to 10PM Shopping at the Clown Stores
8:00-8:30 Baby Shower for Rufus and Porcelain Risley
11:00-? Midnight Madness Jam with balloons, juggling, magic and face painting. Bring what you have and teach other what you know! And bring a snack to share!
Friday, February 20, 9:00-4:00
7:30-10:00 & 3:00-6:00 Registration in the lobby
8:15-8:30 Morning Devotions with Randy Christensen
9:00-6:00 Clown Stores Open
Friday Intensive Tracks (additional fee)
1. Building a New Show with Dave Risley
Imagine being able to improve an act, routine or skit with someone’s help. What would that cost you? Quite a bit I suppose. What about a brand new act or even a show you didn’t have previously? Well, the good news is you can for a small amount of time and money. We will study psychology, character development, the elements of a show, openers, warm-ups, teasers and closers. Bring your own props and we will design or improve what you have. Learn how to write a show or routine or just relax and enjoy the experience.
2. Clown Ministry with Chris Burton, Angel, Chaney’s and the Britt’s
Ever wanted to design and build a Vacation Bible School show? Do you want to learn how to minister with your clown character? Weather you desire to perform in a Gospel Clown Troop or solo, this class is for you! Clown Ministry can be used for church or community outreach. Learn from 6 full time and professional instructors on how to use your clown character to share Gods love through the humorous art of clowning. Also learn to use a puppet to tell the story of the Bible!
3. Hospital & Nursing Home Clowning with Joe Barney
An experience into the ever increasing world of the Hospital & Nursing Home clown and entertainer. How to get started, what routines to use for all ages including infants and senior citizens. Keeping your material fresh and your appeal not only to the patients and their families but to the care givers as well. You don’t have to be a master clown or Houdini to be a great hospital clown, just open your heart and experience the joy of the best work you will ever do!
4. 8:00-5:00 Advanced Professional Entertainer with Staff
8:00-9:30 Gaining Long Term Customers for Family Entertainment with Brad Roberts
9:45-11:00 Capturing Corporate Gigs with DJ Ehlert
11:15-12:30 Close Up Magic for the Pros! DJ Ehlert
12:30-1:00 Lunch Provided
1:00-2:00 Professional Paper Napkin Folding: Getting You More Work!: Bob Gretton
2:00-2:30 Afternoon Break
2:30-3:45 Busking: The Art of Balloon Line Work with Jeff Estes
4:00-5:00 Closing the Sale with Dave Risley
5. Circus Skills & Movement with Randy Christensen
9:00-10:30 Manipulation Skills (juggling, balancing, diablo, plate spinning and more)
10:30-12:00 Physicality In the Ring
12:00-1:30 Lunch with a new friend
1:30-2:30 The Thinking Clown
2:30-4:00 Building Your Circus Act
4:00-5:30 Dinner on Your Own, Exhibits Open
1. Easy Magic for Family Entertainers with Mike Hummer
2. The Art of Clown with Randy Christensen
3. New & Unique Routines for Family Shows with Riz
4. Flying by the Seat of your Pants with the Grettons
5. The KISS Balloon Class – Keep it Simple, Silly with Chris and Kelly
6. Face Painting For Beginners with Gary Cole
6:30-6:45 First Timers Meet with Chris Burton
6:45-7:45 Welcome to Circus Magic Convention!
Featuring the fun ONE minute dealer show with David Claunch
announcements, and introductions of the teaching and performing staff, PLUS:
The Comedy Antics of Riz with MC Paco
7:45-8:00 7. Mandatory Competition Meeting Gretton’s
7:45-10:00 Clown Stores Open
7:45-8:30 8. Puppets, Puppets Everywhere! Make it Take it! ($15 mat. fee at class)
9:00-9:45 Virtuous Reality Black Light Puppets
10:00-11:00 50’s Dance, Come Dressed for the Theme & Win a Prize!
10:00-? Midnight Madness Jam with balloons, juggling, magic and face painting. Bring what you have and teach other what you know. And bring a snack to share!
Saturday, February 21, 2015
8:00-10:00 Registration in the lobby
8:15-8:30 Morning Devotions with Angel
8:00-5:00 Clown Store Open
8:00-9:00 Circus Magic Master Clown Competition (skit, makeup and balloons combined).
9:00-9:15 Group Photo: A free photo will be posted online
Little Big Top (ages 8-16) Grettons
9:30-11:00 Creating a Clown Face
11:00-12:00 Balloons For All with Chris Emery & Kelly Dillon
12:00-1:15 Lunch with parents
1:15-1:45 Beginning Magic with Riz
2:00-3:00 Skits & Gags with Grettons
3:00-4:00 Performance Practice
Puppet Ministry Intensive: Prince Puppet (material fee at class: $25)
9:30-10:30: Puppet Manipulation: Basics and Beyond
Refining our skills utilizing rod-arm and human-arm wide-mouth puppets. This fun-filled participation class will show you how to bring character to your puppets.
10:45-11:30 Puppets, props and pizzazz:
How to put together a delightful program even though you have limited time, limited budget, limited resources, and a limited number of hands!
Lunch with a new friend
1:00-2:45: Puppet construction and bonus prop (extra fee for materials)
A make-n-take puppet and prop you create!
3:00-5:00: Lights, camera, action: Putting together a show
Class will weave together a full program while learning techniques in staging, choreography, scenery and more.
Class 5: Continuation of class 4 – “Putting together a show”
9. The Many Approaches to Face Painting with Gary Cole
10. Starting a Black Light Ministry with John Coen
11. Pumpkin Farm Profits with DJ Ehlert
12. Easy Magic for Family Entertainers with Mike Hummer
13. Creating Multiple Characters with Joe Barney
14. The Body Speaks Randy Christensen
15. The Use of Color and Shadow in Face Painting with Gary Cole
16. How To Start a Clown Ministry with John Coen
17. Meat and Great Magic for any Event with Mike Hummer
18. Funny and Simple Walk Around Magic & Entertainment with Riz
19. Hospital Clowning with Joe Barney
20. Makin’ Faces with Angel
1130-1:00 Lunch With A New Friend!
21. How Can I Paint a Better XYZ to Glitter tattoos are the easiest add on to an event and anyone can do it in under a minute at a cost of only $.27 We will show you how with Gary Cole.
22. Schtickerology with Angel
23. Meet & Great Magic for Any Event with Mike Hummer
24. Building a One Clown Show with Brad Roberts
25. Foam Prop Bldg: Make it Take it ($10 mat. fee at the door) Bill Leblanc
26. The Clown Character with Randy Christensen
27. New & Hilarious Puppet Storytelling Ideas with Riz
28. Making Spring Animals Come Alive with Mike Hummer
29. How To Meet and Greet with Dave Hill
30. Foam Prop Bldg: Make it Take it ($10 for mat. at the door) Bill LeBlanc
31. Family Shows: Entertaining Kiddies to Grandpa with Joe Barney
32. Stage “Presents” with the Britt’s
33. Platform Magic Show in Your Pocket with Mike Hummer
34. Neato Black Light Ideas Session 1
35. Just Joking With You with Dave Hill
36. Looney Stage with Angel
37. Stage “Presents” with the Britt’s
38. Storytelling for Clowns with David Claunch
39. Hilarious Birthday Parties with Brad Roberts
40. Neato Black Light Ideas Session 2
41. The Gospel in Greasepaint with Chaney’s
42. Working With a Partner with the Gretton’s
43. Safe Harbor: Techniques for Interacting with Kids with Chris Burton
44. Bubbles, Bubbles Everywhere! with David Claunch
7:00-8:30 Circus Magic Banquet
8:30-9:30 The Hilarious Antics of Randy Christensen & Little Big Top!
MC Joe Barney and Also Raffles, Awards and Prizes!
9:30-? Last Chance to Shop
Sunday, February 22, 2015
45. Sign Language for Clowns with David Claunch
46. My Favorite Comedy Magic Routines with Riz
47. Fun and Games With Balloons with Dave Hill
10:00-11:00 Worship Celebration: Prince Puppets & Randy Christensen
11:00-12:00 Wrap Up & Check Out: Drop Your Evaluations at the Front Desk
Lots of Hugs, Packing and Prayers for a Safe Trip.
There’s No Place Like Home!
Santa Sunday with New Mr. & Mrs. New Exhibits! 9:00-5:00
Mr. & Mrs. Santa Business with Joe Barney
Meet The Claus’s
The Legend lives, Santa Claus is known and loved the world over. The mere mention of his name warms the hearts of adults and sparks excitement in children of all ages.
Would you like the chance to learn the ins and outs of being Santa and Mrs. Claus? Join Joe Barney and Debbie Bartolucci, two of the best in the business and they will share
the secrets of being that world famous couple.
Learn where to get costumes, or how to make your own. Discover where to get great wigs and beards without breaking the bank. How do you entertain as Santa and the Mrs., for holiday magic, balloon twisting, holiday face painting and story telling? Take your existing Magic & Props and giving them a Holiday Spin. Learn about Costume and Wig Care, making Santa and Mrs. Claus your own character. They will discuss hygiene, safe-touch and even how Santa and Mrs. Claus have their own distinct fragrances.
Being Santa is a whole lot more than a red suit!!!
Joe has performed all over the USA. Some stops have included: Six Flags Theme Parks, Macy’s, City of New York Goodwill Ambassadors and The Holiday party of The President of the United States. Join Us for a Magical Experience
Next Year’s Dates Are February 18-22, 2016 – Circus Magic Pirate Theme!
Don’t forget to register this year and get a FREE preday for next year!