Circus Magic Convention Schedule 2014
Celebrating Winter Holidaze!
Featuring Recommended Classes for Fire Safety Presenters
For those of you that just can’t get enough of laughing & learning, we offer additional choices for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. The registration fees for each of the workshops will be listed on the registration page. All classes will be from 9:00- 4:00.
7:30-9:00 Registration in the lobby (get there early to avoid rush)
One Day Intensive Wednesday February 19th (additional fee)
Wednesday Intensive Track 9:00-4:00
Super Balloon Jam: Jenny Henry & Karan Robbins – The Grill
9:00-10:00 Beginner Basics: inflation, tying, bubbles & twists
10:00-11:00 Beginner/Intermediate: easy and simple sculptures for line work
11:00-12:30 Lunch with a new balloon friend!
12:30-2:30 Intermediate Sculptures: multiple balloon creations
3:00-4:00 Intermediate and Advanced Sculptures
8:00-9:00 PM Welcome to Circus Magic Casino: Play, have fun and then bid with your “winnings” for fun prizes! (Don’t worry: not real money, but real fun!) – The Grill
Thursday, Feb. 20, 9:00-4:00 Intensive Tracks (additional fee)
7:30-10:00 Registration Open
8:15-8:30 Morning Devotions Jackson
School Show School with Field Trip: Dave Risley – Suite 402
9:00-10:00 Psychology of Performing for Young Children
10:15-12:00 Selecting Props & Building a Suitable Show
12:00-1:30 Lunch With A New Friend
1:30-2:00 Preparing to Perform at a Daycare: Rehearsal
2:30 Depart for School Field Trip
4:00-5:00 Debrief & Critique Same Meeting Room
Nursing Home Clowning & Field Trip with Sue Kleinwachter – Suite 302
9:00-9:45 Let’s Begin: Avenues of Exploration: Facilities, Organizations and Self.
10:00-11:00 Step 2: Creativity for Development. Props, Sight Gags, Attire & Staff
11:15-12:00 Entertainment Idea’s for the Caring Clown -Fun, Fun and More Fun.
12:00-1:30 Lunch With A New Friend & Get into Makeup
1:30 Depart for Nursing Home Visit
3:30-4:00 Debrief & Critique Same Meeting Room
Here’s your opportunity to have a full day of laughs and learning with our focus on Nursing Home Clowning.
A much needed and growing interest in this area only leads to happy, healthy living for everyone.
Learn tips, tricks, creative development and exploration of many avenues of this unique field. Personal mentors and time shared with discussion on this will allow you to have the experience you’ll need to begin and continue on this journey.
Hospital Clowning with Field Trip: Joe Barney – Suite 202
(You must have a flu shot documentation in the past 6 months of event)
This is NO Birthday Party!
An experience into the ever increasing world of the hospital clown and entertainer. How to get started, what routines to use for all ages including infants and senior citizens. Keeping your material fresh and your appeal not only to the patients and their families but to the care givers as well. You don’t have to be a master clown or Houdini to be a great hospital clown, just open your heart and experience the joy of the best work you will ever do!
Face Painting with Macella Murad – Jefferson
9:00-10:30 The Magic is in the Brush: Learning & practicing new and basic techniques
10:30-12:00 Fast and easy designs with a Wow Factor
1:30-2:30 Average to Amazing – Learning to take your own designs to higher levels
3:00-4:00 Creativity in Action – Your time to design and paint a creation of your own.
In and this six hours hands-on class, Marcela guides the student in learning the brush sponge techniques that will help you create amazing designs guaranteed to impress your customer and increase your profits. Students work on their own level with Marcela’s guidance. Please bring your kits.
Increase Your Performing Power! Harold Wood – The Grill
1. The Secret to My Success
2. The Real Work – Creativity, Character, Production Value
3. It’s All about the Benjamins (How to get more $$$ for your show.)
4. Blue Print Plans – No nonsense Battle Plans for Daycares, Schools and Libraries
5. Performance & Critique for Participants (Participants perform for the class!)
6:30-6:45 Staff Meeting
7:00-8:00 PM Show: Brad Roberts, Jeff Russ, PJ & David Claunch Jefferson/Jackson
9 AM to 7PM and 8PM to 10PM Shopping at the Clown Stores Jefferson/Jackson
10:00-?? Open Mic Night: bring your favorite puppet routine with MC Riz Jefferson
PLUS: The wedding ceremony of Rufus and Porcelain the rabbits!
11:00-? Midnight Madness Jam with balloons, juggling, magic and face painting. Bring what you have and teach other what you know! And bring a snack to share! Jefferson
Friday, February 21, 9:00-4:00
7:30-10:00 & 3:00-6:00 Registration in the lobby
8:15-8:30 Morning Devotions Jackson
9:00-6:00 Clown Stores Open
Friday Intensive Tracks (additional fee)
Gospel Puppetry with Props & Performance Prince Puppets – Jackson
GOSPEL PUPPETRY (puppets, props and performance)
Participants are invited to perform during the Sunday morning service.
EXTRA fee for kit included (choose either a snowflake or Christmas tree puppet to make) Special bonus prop too!
Advanced Face Painting Marcella Murad (15 Seats Only) – The Grill
Bring On the Bling!
Bling and jewels add perceived value to any design elevating them to another level. Use a small jewel on a Princess face to immediately turn her into a “Jewel Princess”, turn mask into an amazing Bling mask, a butterfly into a sparkle one or a tiger into a fancy cat. In this six hours hands-on class you will learn lots of tips and trick on how to properly use some of the most popular glitter products including the liquid bling and Lumiere Powders, where to find jewels, how to apply plus a series of design ideas guarantee to teach you how to ad that Wow factor to make your designs stand out in a crowd.
Class includes a kit of products. $150
Please bring your kit, baby wipes and a practice head if you have one. E-mail Marcela at Marcela@fabaic.com if you need to borrow one for the day.
Little Big Top (ages 8-16) Grettons – Jefferson
9:00-11:00 Creating a Clown Face
11:00-12:00 Balloons For All with Chris Emery & Kelly Dillon
12:00-1:30 Lunch with parents
1:30-2:00 Beginning Magic with Riz
2:00-3:00 Skits & Gags with Gretton’s
3:00-4:00 Performance Practice
Marketing and Performing for Birthday Parties – Richardson
9:00-9:45 Routines for BDP’s with Riz
10:00-10:45 Fun Games for Birthday Parties with Sue Kleinwachter
11:00-12:00 How to Get Repeat Business for BDP’s with Brad Roberts
1:30-2:30 Birthday Party Balloons to Impress with DJ Ehlert
3:00-4:00 Birthday Party Puppets…Oh My! with Riz
The Professional Children’s Entertainer with Jeff Russ – Suite 202
9:00-10:30 Successful Restaurant Performing
10:30-12:00 Capturing & Performing in the Day Care Markets
12:00-1:30 Lunch with a new friend
1:30-2:30 The Birthday Party Business
3:00-4:00 Q & A For the Expert
Clowning 101: Back to the Basics with Chris Burton & Staff – Suite 302
9:00-10:30 Beginning Makeup: Bring Your Kit and Get Your Face On!
10:00-12:00 Skits & Bits Rick & Monica Chaney
12:00-1:30 Lunch with a new friend
1:30-2:30 Easy Clown Magic with Mike Hummer
3:00-4:00 Simple Balloons You Can Do! Balloons & Pumps Provided! DJ Ehlert
Circus Skills with Christopher Hudert – Patriot
Juggling, balancing, physical comedy and movement, staging a gag or routine. We will spend time on different circus skills that can enhance your performing ability and your performances, regardless of whether you ever set foot in a circus ring. Feel free to bring your juggling ‘toys’, or work with what I bring. And feel free to bring a routine, skit, or gag that we can choose from for the focus on staging. This is play that pays! Here’s our rough schedule, but we’ll be flexible.
9:00-10:30 Juggling made easy! If you can throw and catch, you can learn to juggle
10:00-12:00 Life in Balance – the secrets to balancing from feather weight to big stuff
12:00-1:30 Lunch with a new friend
1:30-2:30 Physical Movement, beyond slaps and falls, to make the funny funnier
3:00-4:00 Staging gags and routines for best presentation – including tips on timing
Mr. & Mrs. Santa Business with Joe Barney and Debra Bartolucci – Suite 402
Meet The Claus’s
The Legend lives, Santa Claus is known and loved the world over. The mere mention of his name warms the hearts of adults and sparks excitement in children of all ages.
Would you like the chance to learn the ins and outs of being Santa and Mrs. Claus? Join Joe Barney and Debbie Bartolucci, two of the best in the business and they will share
the secrets of being that world famous couple.
Learn where to get costumes, or how to make your own. Discover where to get great wigs and beards without breaking the bank. How do you entertain as Santa and the Mrs., for holiday magic, balloon twisting, holiday face painting and story telling? Take your existing Magic & Props and giving them a Holiday Spin. Learn about Costume and Wig Care, making Santa and Mrs. Claus your own character. They will discuss hygiene, safe-touch and even how Santa and Mrs. Claus have their own distinct fragrances.
Being Santa is a whole lot more than a red suit!!!
Joe & Debbie have performed all over the USA. Some of their stops have included: Six Flags Theme Parks, Macy’s, City of New York Goodwill Ambassadors and The Holiday party of The President of the United States. Join Us for a Magical Experience
1. Successful Restaurant Performing Jeff Russ Jefferson
2. Clown Dancing With a Partner Sue Kleinwachter Jackson
3. What’s New in Holiday Comedy Magic Dave Risley Suite 402
4. Easy Magic for Family Entertainers Mike Hummer Berkeley
5. Easy Balloons Everyone Can Do Kelly Dillon & Chris Emery Lafayette
6. Hilarious Birthday Party Routines Brad Roberts Suite 302
7. Successful Makeup Techniques for Clowns Chris Burton Suite 202
7:15-7:25 First Timers Meet with Chris Burton Patriot
7:30-8:30 Welcome to Circus Magic Convention! Washington
Featuring the fun ONE minute dealer show with David Claunch
announcements, and introductions of the teaching and performing staff, PLUS:
The Magic of Ron Conley and along with Blondie & Bunky with MC Joe Barney
8:30-9:00 8. Mandatory Competition Meeting Gretton’s Jefferson
8:30-10:00 Clown Stores Open
10:00-10:30 PLUS: The wedding ceremony of Rufus and Porcelain the rabbits!
Wedding Reception to Follow: Sponsored by Camp Sundown XPS.org
10:30-11:30 Christmas Extravaganza: Virtuous Reality Black Light Puppets Jefferson
11:00-? Midnight Madness Jam with balloons, juggling, magic and face painting. Bring what you have and teach other what you know. And bring a snack to share! Jefferson
Saturday, February 22, 2014
8:00-10:00 Registration in the lobby
8:15-8:30 Morning Devotions Jackson
8:00-5:00 All Clown Stores Open
8:00-9:00 Face Painting, Balloon & Parade Competition Patriot
9:00-9:15 Group Photo: A free photo will be posted online Patriot
9. Creating Multiple Characters Mama Clown Jefferson
10. Holiday & Themed Day Care Shows Jeff Russ Lafayette
11. Clowns Without Makeup Ron Conley Berkeley
12. Performing as Mrs. Santa (Girls Only) Valerie & Debra Suite 202
13. Storytelling With Puppets Dave Risley Suite 302
14. Holidaze Puppetry Prince Puppets Jackson
15. Family Shows: Entertaining Kiddies to Grandpa Joe Barney Suite 402
16. How to Build a Website DJ Ehlert The Grill
17. Silk Magic for Little Ones Mama Clown Jefferson
18. Performing for Restaurants Jeff Russ Jackson
19. Hilarious Birthday Party Routines Brad Roberts Berkeley
20. Life of Pie: The Art of the Crème Pie Christopher Hudert Lafayette
21. Twisting for Cash with DJ Ehlert The Grill
22. Hospital Clowning Joe Barney Suite 402
23. Clowning with a Partner Gretton’s Suite 302
24. Performing as Mrs. Santa (Girls Only) Valerie & Debra Suite 202
1130-1:00 Lunch With A New Friend!
25. Introduction to Face Painting 101 & Beyond with Mama Jefferson
26. Little Things: Big Difference Ron Conley Berkeley
27. More Wild N Wacky Games Prince Puppets Jackson
28. Stage “Presents” Michael & Nina Britt Lafayette
29. Corporate Clowning with DJ Ehlert The Grill
30. Sign Language for Clowns David Claunch Suite 202
31. Meet & Greet Magic for Any Event Mike Hummer Suite 302
32. Clowning: Where Do I begin? Rick & Monica Chaney Suite 402
33. Storytelling for Clowns David Claunch Suite 202
34. How To Start a Black Light Ministry with Virtuous Reality Berkeley
35. Stage “Presents” Michael & Nina Britt Lafayette
36. Booking & Performing for Picnics with Susie K. Jefferson
37. What Kind of Clown Am I? Rick & Monica Chaney Suite 402
38. Family Shows: Entertaining Kiddies to Grandpa Joe Barney Jackson
39. The Three L’s of Paradability Gretton’s Suite 302
40. My Favorite Walk-A-Rounds & Meet & Greets Tim Stark The Grill
41. Music for Your Performances Sue Kleinwachter Jefferson
42. Platform Magic Show in Your Pocket Mike Hummer Suite 202
43. Successful Makeup Techniques for Clowns: Chris Burton Lafayette
44. Interactive Puppetry Prince Puppets Jackson
45. Neato Black Light Ideas with Virtuous Reality Berkeley
46. Don’t Be Funny, Be Entertaining! Christopher Hudert The Grill
47. It’s Showtime, Now What? Joe Barney Suite 402
48. Storytelling for Clowns David Claunch Suite 302
3:45-4:45 Shopping: No Classes, Last Chance to Shop in Main Hall
4:45 Patriot Clown Store Closed for the Convention
5:00-5:30 Little Big Top Show Washington
6:00-7:00 Show Staff & Stage Hands: Private Dinner in Hotel Restaurant
7:00-8:30 Circus Magic Banquet Patriot
8:30-9:30 The Hilarious Antics of Kohl & Company!
MC Joe Barney and Also Raffles, Awards and Prizes!
9:30-? Last Chance to Shop on Dealer Alley!
10:00-? Midnight Madness Jam with balloons, juggling, magic and face painting. Bring what you have and teach other what you know! Bring a snack to share! Jefferson
Sunday, February 23, 2014
49. My Favorite Walk-A-Rounds & Meet & Greets Tim Stark Richardson
50. Gospel Magic Clinic Steve Kissell Berkeley
51. What’s New in Holiday Comedy Magic Dave Risley Lafayette
52. Bubbles Bubbles Every Where! David Claunch Jefferson
10:00-11:00 Worship Celebration: Prince Puppets Jefferson
11:00-12:00 Wrap Up & Check Out: Drop Your Evaluations at the Front Desk
Lots of Hugs, Packing and Prayers for a Safe Trip.
There’s No Place Like Home!
Next Year’s Dates Are February 18-22, 2015 Celebrating Circus Daze!
Don’t forget to register this year and get a FREE preday for next year!